Libraries are open from 9 am to 9 pm today
You are here
We are pleased to announce our 14th Annual Amateur Photography Contest, open from January 2nd - 31st!
Enter up to 3 photographs, in one or more of the following categories: Animals, Architecture, Landscape, People.
Contest-winning photographs from each category will be enlarged and displayed in Central Library during the month of April. Select photographs will also appear in the Waterloo Region Record, and on Kitchener City Hall’s outdoor digital art gallery, the CUBE.
Contest winners will be invited to an awards ceremony held in the Central Library theatre. Contest-winning photographs will be projected on the big screen as Rod Frketich, Waterloo Region Record’s photo/graphics editor, will talk about each photo and why it was selected. Winners will be invited to the stage to collect their plaque.
Prizes for each category are as follows:
- 1st place – 24 x 36 reproduction
- 2nd place – 20 x 30 reproduction
- 3rd place – 18 x 24 reproduction
- Honourable mention – 12 x 18 reproduction
The photographer whose entry is judged "Best in Show" will win a $200 photography gift card.
Winners will be contacted late February.
Rules and Guidelines
- The contest opens Thursday, January 2, 2020. The deadline for contest entries is Friday, January 31, 2020 at 11:59 pm. Submissions received after the deadline will not be accepted.
- The contest is open to residents of Southwestern Ontario only.
- Entrants may submit a maximum of 3 photographs in one or more of the following categories: Animals, Architecture, Landscape, or People. Submissions exceeding this total will be deemed ineligible.
- We accept file sizes up to 8MB. Please retain a copy of the highest resolution image for reproduction purposes.
- Cropping and/or adjusting contrast to the overall picture is permitted. Digital alteration (ie. changing sections of your photograph) is NOT permitted.
- Each submission must be uploaded separately and completely. Entries which do not conform to the contest rules, or are incomplete, are ineligible.
- Professional photographers are not eligible to participate. For the purpose of this contest, a professional is anyone who receives payment for photographic services or workshops (full or part-time).
- Judges' decisions are final.
- By entering this contest, the photographer agrees to have their winning entry published in the Waterloo Region Record, as well as Kitchener Public Library and the Waterloo Region Record’s websites, social media feeds, and other promotions, this year and in future years.
In partnership with: