You are here


Vertical Files

The vertical files are a collection of newspaper clippings of local historical interest, collected between the mid-1960s and mid-2000s. The files contain clippings The Record, Waterloo Chronicle, New Hamburg Independent, Elmira Independent, Cambridge Times and Ayr News.

Clipping from The Record ceased on December 31, 2004 and local community newspaper clipping ceased on December 31, 2005.

You can search the Canadian Newsstream database for newspaper articles from The Record dated January 1, 2005 or later, or ask staff for assistance.

Searching the Vertical Files

Newspaper clippings in the vertical files are arranged by subject. Subject heading binders are kept on top of the vertical file cabinets in the Grace Schmidt Room. You may also read a PDF version of the binder.

Browse Vertical File Subject Headings (pdf)

Subjects are listed alphabetically. If a subject is shown in bold, a file exists for that topic. “See” and “see also” references are included for subjects that do not have their own specific file.

Collective Biography Files

Collective Biography files are marked “CB KIT” or “CB WAT” for single articles or news items about individuals in Kitchener-Waterloo or Waterloo County. Examples include awards, accomplishments, life stories, obituaries, and other retrospectives. Clippings are organized alphabetically by last name in the index and the file.

Business Enterprise Files

Business Enterprise files are marked BUS ENT KIT, BUS ENT WAT, or BUS ENT RMW for topics relating to local small businesses in Kitchener, Waterloo, and the Regional Municipality of Waterloo. Clippings are filed alphabetically in the index and the file.

Using the Vertical Files

Vertical Files are for in-library use in the Grace Schmidt Room only and are not available for interlibrary loan.

In order to view the files, you must provide a valid Kitchener Public Library card. Out of town visitors, or visitors without a library card, must show identification to use the files.

For more information, please email or call 519-743-0271 ext 212.