Libraries are open from 9 am to 9 pm today
You are here
Submitting a Podcast
- The 2018 contest officially opens Thursday, November 1, 2018. The deadline for entries is Friday, November 30 at 11:59 pm. The number of entries we can accept is limited, so enter early.
- Podcasts must be original work created for this contest.
- Podcast entries can be no longer than five minutes (5:00). Podcasts that exceed this limit will be disqualified. Ensure that all sound, including intro or theme music, stays within the allotted 5:00 mark.
- Your submission can be an episode from a larger series, but should be able to work as a stand-alone piece.
- Entries must be uploaded as MP3 files. The maximum file size allowed is 12 MB. Please ensure the MP3 filename is the same as the title of the podcast.
- All podcast forms and genres are eligible: fiction, non-fiction, interview, documentary, first-person narratives, conversation, comedy, news, audio drama, or whatever new invention you’ve come up with and recorded into a podcast.
- Prize money will be awarded to the creator of the podcast. Interview subjects featured in the work do not have any claim on prize money.
- Teamwork is accepted. You can submit a podcast made with more than one person. There should be a lead name, but ensure that all names are included in the entry form. The prize money will be made out to the lead name.
- If you have submitted a podcast with a team, you can also submit a podcast that you have created as an individual. Each submission must be entered separately.
- You can only enter once as a team, and once as an individual.
- Music and sound effects must be royalty-free or original. Create your own music or sound effects or find free use files on sites like Bensound or Freesound.
- You do not need to include a transcript of your podcast.
- Winning podcasts may be available via KPL’s public channels. Because of this, obscenities or offensive language will not be allowed in contest entries.
TIP: You can access audio editing software like Audacity and Garage Band for free online. KPL offers free internet access and you can reserve a desktop computer or borrow a Chromebook or Macbook for in-library use.
The theme and overall idea of the podcast is clear to the listener. The podcast makes use of one or more voices and other auditory sounds to convey a compelling story and listening experience.
Attention is paid to the audio quality of the podcast. The sound (voices, sound effects, music, background noise) is engaging and relevant to the podcast.
The podcast does not run over the 5:00-minute mark. There is no offensive or inappropriate language. The work is original and does not contain any copyrighted material.
How to Submit
The online submission form will be available when the contest opens on November 1. The following information will be required:
- Your Name
- Your Address
- Phone Number
- Age Division (Youth or Adult)
- The title of your podcast (title must be the same as the MP3 file name)
Due to the volume of entries, we accept online entries only. If you do not have Internet access at home, free Internet workstations are available at all Kitchener Public Library locations.
For more information, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.