Libraries are open from 9 am to 9 pm today
You are here
In partnership with:
Welcome to our 11th annual Photography Contest!
You may enter up to three photographs into the contest. Please read the contest rules and guidelines before entering.
Rules and Guidelines
- The contest will open on Sunday, January 1, 2017. The deadline to enter is Tuesday, January 31st at 11:59 pm.
- The contest is available to residents of the Region of Waterloo and surrounding counties (Wellington, Perth, Oxford, and Brant). All ages are invited to participate.
- Photograph submissions will be accepted electronically only.
- You may upload up to 3 photographs (total) in one or more of the following categories:
- We accept file sizes of up to 8 MB. Please retain high-resolution copies for reproduction purposes.
- Cropping and/or adjusting contrast to the overall picture is permitted. Digital alteration (e.g. changing or manipulating sections of your photograph) is not permitted.
- Each photograph must be uploaded individually. Entries which do not conform to the contest rules, exceed contest limits, or are incomplete, will be disqualified.
- Professional photographers are not eligible. For the purposes of this contest, a professional is anyone who receives payment for photographic services or workshops (full or part-time).
- Judges' decisions are final.
- By entering this contest, the photographer agrees to have their winning entry published in the Waterloo Region Record, as well as on the Kitchener Public Library and Waterloo Region Record websites, social media platforms, and other promotions, in 2017 and in future years.
Grand Prize: $200 gift card
1st place, each category: 20" x 24" enlargement
2nd place, each category: 16" x 20" enlargement
3rd place, each category: 11" x 14" enlargement
Winning photographs will be displayed on the big screen at Central Library, as Waterloo Region Record photo/graphics editor Rod Frketich talks about each photo. The date of the awards ceremony will be announced following the contest.
Photographs placing 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each category will be displayed in the Central Library art gallery during the month of April. Select photographs will also appear in the Waterloo Region Record and Kitchener City Hall's digital art gallery, The Cube.